Us

Us

Thursday, July 29, 2010

The "magic hour"


I’m happy to report that the Chip’s Ahoy situation has been resolved. DH came home with a new stash of cookies and some croissants too…tell me, what did I ever do to deserve this wonderful man??? Thank god he likes some “cushin for the pushin” or I might be in trouble after all this snacking.

So as many of you know, we have a beagle puppy Highspeed. He’s 10 months old and gets into EVERYTHING! This afternoon he came down the hall making the weirdest face I’ve ever seen him make, shaking his head like crazy. Turns out he pulled down the tube of toothpaste off the bathroom counter and must have gotten a taste of it. I don’t think he cared for it, but he did smell minty fresh. That was, until dinner time…

I’m getting salmon ready to throw into the oven and of course pup has to go outside. So out we go, he does his business, and on our way back to the apartment he finds a nice pile of poop to roll in. GROSS!! So the salmon waits while Highspeed gets two baths (first bath didn’t quite take care of the stink.) Forty minutes after I started, I’m finally back to starting dinner while a crazy wet puppy runs full speed back and forth through the house.

It turns out puppies, like children, have that “magic hour” – those few hours between 4pm-7pm where they go absolutely wild. From what I remember with my little ones many, many moons ago, children get whiny, clingy, grumpy, over-hungry and just downright cranky at this time of day. Highspeed gets crazy, chewy, jumpy, nippy, and he just knows he’s pushing our buttons. But now he’s sleeping on the couch all cute and cuddly and our hearts just melt for him all over again. The craziness is forgotten. Well, until tomorrow’s magic hour.

I guess the point of today's blog is - I do remember how crazy and exhausting the magic hour is with little ones. But with the "magic hour master" Highspeed conditioning us, I think DH and I are ready for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment