Us

Us

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

15 days old - Come on princess, let's gain some ounces!

Maribel turned 2 weeks old yesterday and in honor of that milestone, here is a picture from that day.

Photobucket

We've had a few interesting days since my last post. I think Maribel must have read my blog and thought she was being too easy on us and therefore adjusted her schedule. The last few evenings she's had a tough time. Around 6 or 7pm she started getting really irritable. She'd act really hungry but when she'd try to eat she'd suck for a few minutes and get super frustrated with the whole process. This cycle would go on until about 11pm or so.

We also went to the doctor today for her weight check and she still is not gaining like she should be. In the last week she only gained 3 oz so she's currently at 8lb3oz. When I described to the pediatrician how she had recently started acting, he mentioned the possibility of colic (which I remember, and not fondly, from my DD's infanthood 22 years ago) but said this would be a really early start for that. Since she's having enough wet & dirty diapers it seems as though the quantity of milk she's getting is ok. And my pumping amount for DH's evening bottle is back to a more "normal" (for me) amount of 3 - 3.5 oz. But the doctor is thinking it could be that my breastmilk is not high enough in calories for her to gain weight and be satisfied after a feeding.

So we'll continue to breastfeed for 10-15 minutes on our current schedule (every 2-3 hours during the day and every 3-4 hours at night) and offer formula after she breastfeeds. I'm also going to pump after these feedings so my milk supply doesn't decrease with the decrease in the demand. Then it's back to the pediatrician next Thursday for another weight check and hopefully this time we'll see a substantial weight gain.

And I guess we'll see how this evening goes with the addition of formula after breast. If she's still super irritable it may hint that she does have some colic going on, but if we start seeing her more "satisfied" in the evenings I'll be happy knowing she's getting what she needs from both me and the supplementing with formula. So we shall see and I'll report back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment