Us

Us

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

8 days old already!!

How in the world did our little one become 8 days old already? Time is flying by! The days go so fast, what with nursing every 2-3 hours and walking through some parts of the day and/or night like a zombie. DH & I have a new appreciation for coffee, that's for sure!

Things have been going great! On Monday, we had our first family outing to see Dr D so he could remove my stitch. I remember when he was stitching me up, he was explaining to the assisting OB, the method he was using to close the incision and all I can say is that I LOVED that method. All he had to do was clip the knot on one end and pulled the stitch right out the other end. Quick and painless, just the way I like things! I go back for my post-partum visit on August 15th and then my time with Dr D will be done. It will be weird not going back there again but I'll forever be thankful for everything he did for us (and knowing me, I'll cry saying goodbye to him.)

Yesterday, Maribel turned 1 week old. And to celebrate we went on her second outing, this time to the grocery store. Ok, we really didn't celebrate in that fashion but we seriously needed groceries in the house so a family outing it became. I pushed my cart of groceries and DH pushed our little princess in another cart (see picture below.) One funny moment from this trip - I was waiting for our deli order to be completed and another worker came up and asked if that was my baby in the cart. I said yes. Then she looked at my belly and said "And you're pregnant again?" Oh my goodness, I couldn't help but laugh out loud. I said "No, she's just a week old so this is from her", patting my belly. She said she didn't realize that you were still left with a belly after having a baby and she thought it instantly went away. I curse TV shows and supermodels for this misunderstanding people have. I definitely still look 4-5 months pregnant at this point but it's a shame that people think the post-partum days and weeks are like the character Rachel on Friends where she's instantly transformed to her pre-pregnancy figure immediately after birth. At least there's now one more educated woman in the world (and she's damn lucky I found her question funny.)

Photobucket

Today was Maribel's third outing, this time to her pediatrician. She's looking great and we'll go back in one week just to check her weight. Her weight at birth was 8 pounds. Her weight on Friday when she was discharged from the hospital was 7lbs 15.4 ounces so she only lost 6 tenths of a pound. Today, she was again at 8lbs. So they really just want to make sure she gains at least a few ounces in the next week. She's eating great, evidenced by her healthy amount (perhaps overly healthy amount) of wet & dirty diapers but I'll feel better knowing she's putting on some additional weight by next Wednesday.

So here are some additional pictures for your viewing pleasure:

This was Maribel & me while she was still in the NICU. DH had gone home for the night and I wanted to text him a pic of the two girls who love him most in the world.
Photobucket

Maribel at 5 days old had just fallen asleep after eating and was making lots of faces. This smile was priceless:
Photobucket

One more of Maribel at 5 days old. Here just chilling out while mom & dad watched the women's world cup soccer.
Photobucket

And here's our little princess at 1 week old:
Photobucket

So I'm slightly caught up with things at this point. The little one should be waking up any moment so forgive me if this is full of errors and/or poor grammar.

3 comments:

  1. She is gorgeous! Love it!

    xoxo

    Moe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Moe! We seriously cannot stop staring at her. We're just over the moon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable, that little sweet face just puts a smile on my face. Congratulations and enjoy every minute with your precious little girl!

    ReplyDelete