Us

Us

Sunday, January 9, 2011

13w3d - Griping about pain

Hi all! I'm plugging along through my recovery. Yesterday I overdid things a tad when DH got a call that his parents were currently driving through Connecticut on their way to see us. Surprise! So DH & I did a whirlwind tag-team housecleaning. He of course did the big ticket items - like making the bed in the guest room (soon to be nursery) after I threw the bedding in the wash, vaccuuming, etc. I stuck to dusting objects I could easily reach, putting away dishes, folding & putting away laundry...but still an hour's worth of activity like that and I was sore for the rest of the day. I was however thanking my lucky stars that our apartment is so small it seriously only takes an hour to clean it.


Today the lower back soreness I had from Cleaning Frenzy 2011 has gone away and I'm left with the familiar pain I've felt all week. How would I describe my pain? I would describe it as: "I just had my abdomen sliced open and my innards moved around and it hurts and the skin around my incision is slightly bruised and these staples feel all tight and pully and man, walking really hurts, and so does sitting and laying down, and damn I cannot find a comfortable position, and FUCK I can't wait until this feeling is a distant memory." Yeah, that's the pain I'm feeling. And I've had a lot of itching, not on the incision, but I've had a little rash. I think it may be from one of the meds I had with my spinal so I'll mention that to the doc when I see him. The rash itself has been getting better each day, but the itching is persistant. So while I tackle another day of pain and itchiness today, I'm both dreading and looking forward to tomorrow. Tomorrow is staple removal day.


Now, I actually had staples removed once when I was 14 or 15 years old (the second of my 5 ankle surgeries.) I remember that I didn't know they used staples until I'd gone back to the orthopedist, they removed my soft cast, and I looked down at my foot to see how the ankle looked. I thought to myself, well that thread looks shiny, almost metallic. Upon closer observation I discovered it was not metallic stitches but rather staples. I then wondered if I just left, would the staples just fall out on their own someday? That would work for me. But alas, I sucked it up and waited for the doc to come in and get the staples out of my ankle. Perhaps because I blocked out that portion from my memory banks or perhaps because in the end it really was uneventful, I really don't remember much about the actual removal, other than knowing it was not a pleasant sensation. Others are telling me now that tomorrow's staple removal won't be painful, that it will just be a pulling feeling. Are they bullshitting me or are they serious? I guess I'll find out tomorrow and I will report my findings to you.

Until then, hope you're all having a great weekend and thanks for reading my whiny, griping post today.

No comments:

Post a Comment