Us

Us

Monday, April 11, 2011

26w4d - The registry shuffle

Wow, it is BEAUTIFUL weather here today!! Low 80's, sunny, little bit of a breeze, just perfect! DH is at softball practice (this year he's wearing 2 hats on the team, player & coach) and I just finished a pretty steady but uneventful day at work.

Our baby shower with my side of the family and hometown friends is coming up this weekend. It will be a joint shower with my brother & SIL who are due mid-May. I'm soooo excited to see everyone!! In checking my registry I noticed that a number of things I had on my registry were "temporarily unavailable" - I hate when that happens. And I realized a good number of things had been bought and we still have friends/family on the RI side of the house that want to do a get together before the baby arrives so I needed to add some additional options for people. Plus I like to have a lot of different priced options on there so people can pick and choose what they want to get without breaking the bank. So some additions and removals were in order.

I added some more fun stuff like freezer trays for baby food (heck, I make my dog's wet food and treats from scratch, you know I'm going to make my own baby food), dishwasher baskets for baby stuff, a spout cover so baby doesn't knock their head on the spout in the bathtub, a swing (since DGD loves hers so much now we don't think she'll done with it before Maribel arrives), breastmilk storage pack, bottle dryer/organizing rack, a soft sided toy box, and a teether/toy set. Then I took off the manual breast pump I had on there (which had gone to a "temporarily unavailable" status) and just bought myself the Medela swing pump I'd finally decided on. It's a step down from the one DD got, but she'll be pumping a lot more than I will since she'll be pumping at work. I'll just be pumping so Daddy can have a share in the fun & bonding of getting to feed Maribel too.

I'm also super excited because my cousin will be bringing me a sewing machine that she's had and only used once. I won't be trying out for Project Runway, but I would like to be able to sew some basic things. My first project will be making my own cloth wipes. I really don't feel like buying pack after pack of disposable baby wipes so I want to make a few dozen cloth wipes before the baby arrives.

And from what I've read, they'll be a nice easy first project for me. I'll just cut out squares of cotton flannel and do a decorative stitch (think zig zag) around the edges to prevent fraying...that's it! Then when it's time to change the little one, we'll have a little spray bottle of solution to spray on the wipe and wipe that cute little bottom clean. Dirty wipe goes in the wash with the cloth diapers and we reuse, reuse, reuse. Going green and saving money - those are my goals. I'm still comparing wipe solution recipes - some call for a mix of things like baby oil, baby wash, and water. Others call for olive oil, baby wash, water, a couple drops of tea tree oil, etc. There are literally dozens of recipes out there so I'll continue to research and read feedback and figure out which one I want to make first and see how Maribel reacts. With my skin issues, I know I'll be going as natural as possible.

Well, that's my update for the day...exciting, I know. Now I think I'll take my furbaby out for a nice walk around the neighborhood to enjoy this beautiful day. Later friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment