Us

Us

Sunday, April 3, 2011

25w3d - Baby stuff and food

Hi folks! Hope you're all having a great weekend! Mine has been good so far - shopping, errands, the usual.

I did pick up a few more things for Maribel over the last few days. Amazon was my retailer of choice on Friday where I nabbed a pack-n-play, an extra pack-n-play sheet, and a Bumbo chair. The pack-n-play has the bassinet on top so we'll be able to keep her in our room with us those first few weeks and it should be useful for trips to see the family. I kept hearing great things about the Bumbo chair so one of those was in order too.

On Saturday, I ventured to Target (what a shock, right?) But I behaved and didn't buy too much. I grabbed a couple of lined baskets for the changing table to hold the cloth diapers/inserts and onesies. And I've been waiting for the floppy baby sun bonnets to come out and yesterday they were there, YAY!! I of course wanted to buy her one of each color, but just bought one white eyelet design. Since she'll be born right at the start of summer, floppy sun bonnets will be a must so that may become her primary fashion accessory.

Food shopping wasn't quite as enjoyable as baby stuff shopping. In fact, I felt quite depressed as I walked through the bakery section and ice cream aisle. The shopping trip took me quite awhile as I checked the carb count on every single label of every food I bought. Phew!! In the end, it's not going badly so far. Don't get me wrong - I'm seriously missing some of my favorites - ice cream, pancakes with mom & dad's syrup, Chips Ahoy cookies, etc. But my carb cravings haven't been making me too miserable...yet. My SIL and a message board friend with gestational diabetes both sent me how they break down their carbs throughout the day so I'm following their lead. They also both sent me food lists and examples of meals and snacks that they eat so there seem to be quite a few options.

I was also happy to find some "desserty" options on my shopping trip that won't kill the carb count - the small containers of Light and Fit yogurts, Kozy Shack No Sugar Added rice or tapioca puddings, Breyers no sugar added fruit bars - so as long as I can have something that feels like a dessert, I'll be ok. Snacks I'm doing fine with - I bought lots of nuts, different kinds of cheeses, small fruits (plums, apples, pears), peanut butter & almond butter, the veggies that I currently like, etc. For meals so far, I've been enjoying my caprese salads with a little meat on the side, made some turkey chili last night, and I bought a lot of canned meats for chicken salad and ham salad sandwiches. Lastly, one food swap that I'm really loving is the switch from half & half to heavy cream for my morning cup(s) of decaf. LOVE it! Half & half had 4g carbs per serving and I didn't want to waste my carbs on that. Heavy cream however, has 0g carbs, and you only need a teeny-tiny bit in your coffee to make it nice and creamy. So I'm all in favor of that swap!

The good thing, like I mentioned the other day, is that as of right now I don't have gestational diabetes. The doc just said my glucose levels were a "little high". Hopefully these adjustments in my diet will keep things from getting any higher so that's the goal here. And honestly, this is forcing me to eat healthier so really in the end it's a win-win...though I think I'm going to need to keep reminding my carb-craving mind of this often. And with that thought, it's actually time for a snack so I'll talk to you all later.

2 comments:

  1. Check out our board for more low-carb recipes. I posted several a while back. Some may be more strict than you need but you may find something useful.. like for cloud recipe for instance.

    All that baby shopping sounds so fun and exciting. I can't wait to see pics of Maribel in her bonnet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandy - thanks so much for that reminder! I completely forgot about all of those recipes you posted on that board. I'm going to look at them again tonight so I can pick up my "supplies" at the grocery store this weekend. I'm anxious for new options. :-)

    ReplyDelete