Us

Us

Thursday, March 31, 2011

25 weeks - Glucose a "little high"

Hi there friends! I've been Miss Early Bird this week at work so I finished today's workday a little early and decided to come write to you all. Today is 25 weeks, gimme a YAY!!! Glucose is a "little high", gimme a BOO!!!!

Yes, I checked in with my doctor to make sure that he got my results from last week's glucose screening and he did. But he said the results were a "little high" so I've got some new rules to follow. I've been told to do the following:

  • Keep my calories spread evenly throughout the day.

  • No big meals and no skipping meals.

  • Stay away from sweets. (Oh, shit!)

  • No more than 40% of my calories should come from carbs. (Oh, double shit!!)

  • And we'll discuss it all in more detail at my next appointment in a few weeks.

Oh, this is breaking my heart as I've become a carb addict the last couple of months (which of course is probably WHY my results are high in the first place.) I think I've leaned on carbs so much because so many foods are just not appealing during this pregnancy. Meat for instance has not been appealing whatsoever. I normally love steaks, chicken, ground turkey, etc, but I'm not feeling the love for any of these the last few months. Yesterday I made turkey burgers (one of my faves) for lunch and could only stomach half of it. I did find this week that I can tolerate cold chicken - like a chicken salad sandwich, so I guess I'll be stocking up on cans of white meat chicken. I can tolerate some fish - a bit of salmon, a little tilapia, and perhaps a tuna fish sandwich but that would be rarely. I still don't care for cooked vegetables nor do I enjoy a salad like I used to. I don't mind snacking on raw celery with peanut butter or raw cucumbers, tomatoes, and radishes but that's pretty much the extent of my vegetable tolerance right now. So without meats and veggies, I've been turning to breads, pastas, and fruits. Oh yeah, I am soooo screwed!!


Guess I'll be spending my evening looking for meal ideas before Saturday's trip to the grocery store. Oh freaking joy! Poor DH feels so helpless too. Earlier he was like "Hun, I'm so sorry you've had to go through so much for this." What? Like multiple surgeries, IVF, the TAC surgery, eczema & hives with little that I can take for them, edema, carpal tunnel, and now glucose that's a "little high"? Yes, it hasn't been "all fun all the time", but I know we're really quite lucky in comparison to some and it's all for a good cause. When Maribel's here all of this won't matter in the least. I am a bit grumpy over today's news but I also feel bad for him because he's going to be eating whatever crappy items I can stomach as a meal for the next few months.


There are some silver linings here though. 1) my level must not have been really high or I think I'd be moving onto the 3-hour test pronto instead of waiting to discuss things in more detail at my next appointment. 2) I'm not at the point where I have to use insulin like my SIL is (poor thing) so I can thank my lucky stars for that. 3) I should be delivering in 12-13 weeks so by then my aversions should be gone and I'll be back to eating like a normal person again. Just got to keep on telling myself - this is a short term problem!


So with that, I hope you have a nice evening and I'll let you know how my menu planning goes. So far my shopping list has peanut butter, stuff for chicken salad sandwiches, and stuff to make caprese salad. I'd love suggestions on "lower" carb meals/foods so if you have any for me, just leave them in the comments and I'll be forever thankful. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment