Us

Us

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What tomorrow brings

Thank God for a busy day at work or I think I would have been completely distracted by tomorrow's events. It's amazing to know that we've made it to egg retrieval when 2 months ago I was recovering from the latest ectopic pregnancy. Crazy stuff! So what happens tomorrow? I shall share what I know so far...

DH and I need to arrive at the fertility center at 10:30. I'll be prepped for the procedure and meet with the anesthesiologist. For this the procedure they use IV conscious sedation so I won't feel anything - giant phew!! Now EXACTLY what happens after this, I'll need to report back on tomorrow after it's happened so I can give you the facts, but the abbreviated version is that while I'm in la-la land they will use a vaginal ultrasound to display the follicles on the screen. They will put a big giant needle through my vaginal wall and go from follicle to follicle aspirating each one. They'll hand off their findings to the embryologist to see how many eggs we got out of the follicles.

Now after they retrieve the eggs, DH will be whisked off to that special room so he can do his business. We don't imagine there will be any issue with him providing the goods as he had his practice run last month. And his semen analysis came back spectacular (123 million with 93.5% rapid forward progression) so we don't envision any issue with lack of swimmers for the big day. So once he's done his business his sperm will be washed (basically separating the sperm from the semen/fluids,) Then my beautiful mature eggs will get together with his young handsome sperm and hopefully they'll love each other as much as DH & I love each other.

Before we leave the facility, we'll be told how many eggs were retrieved from the follicles. The following day we'll find out how many of them fertilized. Then we'll get daily reports to see how the embryos are growing.

Now, if you're interested to see how they do the follicle aspiration, there is a great video on youtube. It's only a few minutes long but I must say it is completely fascinating - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfGWxGYFETo. Remember, this is not my doctor nor my follicles (obviously) but it gives you an idea of what will be happening to me tomorrow morning.

So I'll be back on tomorrow to tell you all how it went, how many eggs we got, etc. Oh, I hope I can sleep tonight. I'm so excited I don't know if it will be possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment